The Cahill Fam'

The Cahill Fam'
Smiles - We do a lot of that!

Monday, December 7, 2015

The Cahill Family Christmas...2015...Building New Memories

The thought that Christmas number three in this house waits in the wings stirs some memories and nostalgia. I looked on my Facebook feed earlier this morning and lo and behold, a message told that I had memories to take a gander upon from years past. Of course I looked! A number of them stuck out to me and made me smile:

Spencer’s first time really helping decorate the tree back in 2008. His face glowed with excitement as he hooked the ornaments up on the branches of the Christmas tree. Fast forward to last night and he still lights up as bright as strands on our current tree when I pull out the ornaments. He loves this time of year. He remembers a lot of the ornaments. This year he set up the little Christmas Village for the first time all by himself. 


Chandler’s 7th grade play, American Idle, made me chuckle. It blows my mind that this feels like yesterday yet at that the same time looks like so long ago. An incredible reminder to me to not blink too many times. Chalin is in 8th grade now. He will be in Chandler’s shoes soon studying for finals in college. It all goes so fast.


Christmas at the barn with my sis. She just recently moved her horses from the old and famed Trails End in Kingwood to another barn which has opened so many doors for her when it comes to lessons, riding, and personal time. The memories of Christmas at the Barn though will always remain in a special place in the heart though. My sis went all out by dressing up her horses, hoisting up kiddos to feed carrots to them, and posing for pics with everyone.


Three years ago, the boys and I moved into Ohana. The move stood for something. The sojourn from Bear Branch to the new place marked a new beginning for the three of us. Seeing some pics from 2012 of the view from the second story window with literally brought back the emotions from when we first got here. Filled with the hope of a new beginning, little did I know where these moments would take me. Today, the last home in the neighborhood begins the construction process. The cleared land awaits preparation for workers to start plotting plumbing, cables, and then the inevitable foundation. Once that finishes up, time starts ticking away and in just a few months this last home in the neighborhood will stand and construction will cease in this small location in Kingwood.


On the horizon, the sun’s rising colors invade a darkened sky. New memories anticipated around each corner. My one year old family put up our Christmas Tree last night – minus Chandler as he is in Corpus studying for finals, but we saved some decorations for him – and each person put up some decorations around the house. Terra had a splendid idea. Let the kids put all of the decorations out wherever they wanted, so that we start making it completely new. She’s such a blessing and wonderful bride.


I look forward to the future when I get to look on the timeline of memories, whether it is Facebook or sitting and looking at pictures on the Mac, and seeing these pictures of the tree and remembering the feeling of Chalin helping with the lights. Spencer creating the village, and Terra putting some ornaments on the tree. The banister awaits Chandler’s touch when he arrives from Corpus. It’s his specialty.  









My grace is sufficient for you...One Day At A Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment